This morning I ventured out with five of the kids to an event called the Compassion Experience. Compassion is a Christian child advocacy ministry that releases children from spiritual, economic, social and physical poverty and enables them to become responsible, fulfilled Christian adults. (Can you tell I stole that from their website? I figured they say it best.)
Compassion has something called Change the Story. We had heard about it from church and so I made a reservation to take the kids. As we entered the large blue tent, we were given headphones and handheld devices that told us the story of a Compassion sponsored child. While we walked from room to room, we listened to Ruben tell about his live in Bolivia. We could witness what his life looks like: his home, his shoe-shining station, the Compassion funded school that he attends, etc. Change the Story is an iteractive, immersive display that lets you step into the life of a child who has lived in extreme poverty. It was incredible.
I questioned the boys on the way home to see what they thought of the experience. They were rather unimpressed. I told Todd later that that whole experience showed me that my kids (and possibly most American kids) seem to have eyes that are veiled to truly "seeing" and understanding what life is like for many other kids around the world. I want to change that. How though? I admit I don't have the answers. But I do desire and will pray that my kids have hearts that are compassionate; that they will care for others more than themselves.
If the Compassion Experience ever comes to a location near you, I'd highly recommend it!
No comments:
Post a Comment